Teacher Webinars and Workshops
These FREE, online sessions will increase your comfort, knowledge and skills in teaching the Alberta human sexuality curriculum.
A series of Zoom webinars, FREE to all teachers and educators, in October. Register for as many sessions as you like. Each session is 4:00-5:00 pm.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com.
Comprehensive Sexual Health Education: What it Is and Why it Matters
- What comprehensive sexual health includes and how it benefits students
- Data on teen sexual activity and how that relates to the sexual health needs of students
- Communicating effectively with parents about teaching sexual health
- Wednesday, October 11th Click here to register
Teaching with Confidence: The New Grade 4, 5 and 6 Sexual Health Curricula
- Familiarize yourself with NEW learning outcomes for human sexuality
- See what has changed and what has stayed the same
- Test drive updated lesson plans that align with the new curriculum
- Monday, October 16th Click here to register
Sex Ed for Today’s Classrooms
- How to address topics relevant to kids today: pornography, sexting, consent and media literacy
- Creating inclusive schools and classrooms to explore sexual orientation, gender identity and expression (SOGIE) topics
- Tuesday, October 24th Click here to register
Funny, Awkward, Shocking? How to Answer Questions in Sexual Health Class
- Common types of student questions and how to approach each one
- How to use a question box effectively
- Navigating slang, personal questions and disclosures in class
- Thursday, October 26th Click here to register
What time are the webinars?
Each webinar is 4:00-5:00 pm.
Do I have to attend every session?
No! Choose the sessions you want to attend, and only register for those sessions. Attend as many as you like.
How do I access the webinars?
The sessions are held on Zoom. You can access Zoom on your smartphone, computer or tablet using the link emailed in your registration confirmation. Each session has a unique link.
Are the webinars recorded?
No, the webinars are not recorded. Slides are available for download after the webinar.
The teacher workshop is an online learning opportunity for all Alberta teachers and pre-service teachers. There are 3 modules, each with readings, discussion questions and learning activities. The modules are completed asynchronously over 3 weeks. The next workshop offering will be in the spring of 2024.
Questions regarding the workshop can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
These are some of the topics covered in the workshop:
- Sexual health terms
- Sexual health outcomes for students in Alberta
- Background information on sexual and reproductive health
- Factors that influence human sexuality
- Alberta Education curriculum outcomes
- Provincial legislation and supporting policies related to teaching sexual health
- The impact of school-based sexual health education
- The role of teachers in sexual health education
- Using lesson plans
- Teaching tools and strategies
- Answering student questions
- Sexual health resources
What time are the workshops held at?
There are no times for the workshop. You can login from work or home at any time to work on the three modules over the three weeks. One module is released per week, so we encourage participants to complete each module on a weekly basis.
Do I need to install any software to access the workshop?
No, you do not need to install any software to access the workshop. You just need internet access on a computer, phone or tablet. We use Moodle, an Open Source Course Management System (CMS), also known as a Learning Management System (LMS) or a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). Moodle is very similar to other online learning platforms such as D2L, Blackboard, and Drupal.
I am not a teacher; can I still take the workshop?
Yes. This workshop is best suited for certified Alberta school teachers, and post-secondary students training to be teachers in Alberta. Our workshop is specifically designed for teachers as they are best positioned to teach the human sexuality curriculum because of their on-going relationships with their students.
Teacher Professional Learning Sessions
Teaching Sexual Health staff are available to offer presentations on delivering comprehensive sexual health education at school or district-wide professional learning days.
Sessions are tailored to the needs of your school district, covering grades or topic areas of interest. For ideas on session topics, please see our past webinar offerings.
Sessions are offered online or in-person. Due to travel requirements, the availability of in-person sessions is limited depending on the location in Alberta. Contact email@example.com for more information or to request a session.
NOTE: Teaching Sexual Health does NOT offer in-class teaching directly to students. We are here to develop your capacity as their classroom teacher, to deliver high-quality sexual health education to your students.