Teaching Sexual Health 101
This free, online workshop is designed to increase teachers’ comfort, knowledge and skills in teaching the Alberta Education human sexuality curriculum. Each workshop has three modules and runs over three weeks.Teachers can access the workshop at any time during the three weeks. Teachers are expected to complete all activities and take part in discussion boards to complete this workshop. Once completed, teachers will receive a certificate for 12 hours of online sexual health education training. Workshops are provided by Alberta Health Services.
Questions regarding this workshop can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration is now closed. Please check back in the fall for the last workshop of 2019.
These are some of the topics covered in the workshop:
- Sexual health terms
- Sexual health outcomes for students in Alberta
- Background information on sexual and reproductive health
- Factors that influence human sexuality
- Alberta Education curriculum outcomes
- Provincial legislation and supporting policies related to teaching sexual health
- The impact of school-based sexual health education
- The role of teachers in sexual health education
- Using lesson plans
- Teaching tools and strategies
- Answering student questions
- Sexual health resources
What time are the workshops?
There are no set times. You can log in any time to do the three modules over three weeks. One module is released at the start of each week. Try to do one module a week.
How much time will the workshop take?
Expect to commit about 2-4 hours per week. The 3 modules will take about 12 hours to complete over 3 weeks.
Do I need to install any software to access the workshop?
No software is needed to access the online workshop. We use Moodle, which is similar to other online learning platforms such as D2L, Blackboard and Drupal.