Important Phone Numbers
No cost services available in many languages
General Health Information
- Alberta Health Services
- Healthy Parents, Healthy Children A practical guide to pregnancy and parenting, based on today’s knowledge, evidence and best practices. It’s available as a print and online resource for expectant parents, parents of children under 6 years of age and health care providers.
- Ready or Not Alberta A preconception health website for men and women aged 18-44 that are planning, or not planning to become pregnant
- Screening for Life Population-based breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer screening programs
- MyHealth Alberta A joint initiative of the Alberta Government and Alberta Health Services to give Albertans one place to go for health information they can trust. Health care experts across the province make sure the information is correct and up-to-date.
Abuse and Assault
- Connect Family and Abuse Network Focuses on sexual abuse and abusive relationships. It is a Calgary-based resource, which provides support services for Albertans.
- For sexual abuse help call: 1-877-237-5888
- For family violence help call: 1-866-606-7233
- Government of Alberta’s 24 hour Family Violence Info Line
- Alberta’s One Line for Sexual Violence is a partnership between the Association of Alberta Sexual Assault Services (AASAS) and the Government of Alberta. The talk/text/chat line provides private, confidential support and information to survivors of sexual violence and is available in more than 200 languages.
- 1-866-403-8000 (7 days a week from 9am to 9pm)
- Alberta Government Resources on recognizing, preventing and stopping bullying
- Government of Canada Children Online Information about keeping children safe online, including mobile use, social networking, cyberbullying and online exploitation
- NeedHelpNow For youth who have been impacted by a sexual picture/video being shared by peers (sexting)
- Promoting Relationships & Eliminating Violence Network A national network of leading researchers and organizations, working together to stop bullying in Canada
- The Society for Safe and Caring Schools & Communities Information on Alberta’s Amended School act for parents and guardians
- Public Health Agency of Canada Questions & Answers: Sexual Health Education for Youth with Physical Disabilities Provides answers to common questions about sexual health education for youth with physical disabilities
- Talking About Sexuality in Canadian Communities (TASCC) A sexual health resource for parents and providers of services to high-risk youth and youth with disabilities
Sexual and Gender Diversity
- Alberta Education Starting a GSA or QSA in Your School- A Tip Sheet for Students
- Camp Fyrefly is the only national leadership retreat for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, two-spirited, intersexed, queer, questioning, and allied youth.
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Questions & Answers: Sexual Orientation in Schools Answers common questions about sexual orientation in schools
- Questions & Answers: Gender Identity in Schools Answers common questions about gender identity in schools
- Society for Safe and Caring Schools & Communities 10 steps to creating a gay-straight alliance (GSA) in your school
- The Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services at the University of Alberta includes resources for educators, students and families
- Trans Equality Society of Alberta (TESA) TESA’s mission is to be a witness to and a voice for matters concerning trans Albertans
Sexual and Reproductive Health Information
- Alberta Health Services
- Immunize Alberta Answers common questions about the HPV vaccine
- Sex Germs Information for adolescents and young adults about STIs, getting tested and where to get help
- Sexual and Reproductive Health Program and service information on sexual and reproductive health services in each zone, including pregnancy options, health topics and resources by topic and related websites
- Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada
Sexual Health Education
- Action Canada for Sexual Health and Rights Provides resources and information on advocacy, education, services and international and national policy engagement
- MediaSmarts Focuses on providing educational resources to help raise a media savvy generation
- Sex Information and Education Council of Canada Questions & Answers: Sexual Education in Schools Answers many questions about sexual health education in schools.
- Alberta Health Services and TASCC Teens and Trends: Get the Facts on Teen Sexuality Information related to trends in teenage sexual behaviour, condom and contraception use, pregnancy, STIs, and HIV and AIDS.
Links to resources outside of the TeachingSexualHealth.ca website are provided for information only and do not imply an endorsement of views, products, or services. Although our staff regularly reviews these links, we can’t be certain that they are 100% credible since their content can be changed at any time.